Welp, it's been two weeks since surgery. (Actually, it's been two weeks and two days, but I forgot to post on Monday.) I have had an incredibly smooth recovery! My energy level is great (as long as I don't overdo it--see below), and my incisions are all completely closed and nearly 100% healed. I haven't missed a single day of exercise since the surgery--a commitment I intend to keep for the rest of my life. Some days have been "lighter" than others, but I'm determined to do something every single day. I've started doing "band" work for my upper body. But now the surgeon has cleared me for moderate exercise, so I think I'm going to start using the exercise ball as well.
From what I hear, most people have a hard time getting in enough protein at this stage because they can't stand the protein powders, but I found a brand that I liked, so I haven't had a hard time with that. I started searching for protein powders several weeks before surgery because I'm quite particular about not using artificial sweeteners. I finally found a whey protein at Whole Foods that is sweetened with stevia (an herb that is naturally sweet and very good for you). It comes in vanilla and chocolate, and I add various flavoring oils (eggnog, butterscotch, strawberry, peppermint, etc.) to get variety.
At my two week visit I was given the go-ahead to move to the next stage of pureed foods. Yeah! You have no idea how boring liquids can get! Towards the end I was getting pretty desperate and putting about two tablespoons of whatever we had for dinner into the blender with 8 oz. of chicken broth,which I then put through the strainer. That gave me a whole new world of options! I will admit that a cheated a couple of times and had some (well-chewed) crackers. I tolerated those very well, which was why I went ahead asked the doctor if I could move on the pureed/mushies. So far I've added cottage cheese (mmmm!) and saltine crackers with pumpkin spice cream cheese. I've even had stir-fry veggies, which I steamed a little longer in the microwave to get them to the soft stage. After two weeks of liquids, that felt like gourmet cuisine! It's so nice to feel like I can eat almost-normal foods. This new stage will last a few more weeks, then regular foods can be added in carefully. Some people develop food intolerances post-surgery, especially to dairy, eggs, and certain meats (different ones for different people). So far I've been fine with dairy. I've only tried eggs, chicken, and ham one time each; they were each fine so far.
One thing that is new is my sense of fullness. Obviously, I get full on much less food, that's a given. What is new is the physical feeling when I'm full. It's very different from before. It's quite impossible to describe, but it happens quickly, and usually AFTER I've finished eating. If I eat until I am full, then it is TOO LATE. About 5-10 minutes later I begin to feel over-full, and it is NOT a comfortable feeling! It has only happened three times, but it's definitely something I would rather avoid! So, I've learned to be very careful about measuring my food and eating only that. On that note, here's a word of advice for everyone who wants better control over their eating: measure portions and use smaller plates/dishes. I now use a salad plate as a dinner plate, and I bought several glass ramekins (custard cups) to use as bowls. I usually eat with a baby spoon and fork as well. It's amazing how quickly these have become habit. At first such tiny bites felt so silly, but now it feels very normal.
Also at my two week follow-up, I was cleared for driving. Yeah! Freedom! I celebrated by spending the rest of the day shopping. That was not so smart. Alden even warned me, "Don't overdo it and spend hours shopping around!" I told him not to worry, I was just looking for a few decorations for the tree and some cool weather clothes for Josh. Well, you probably know how that ended up. I felt like I'd been through the wringer by the end of the day! And then I came home, made dinner, started decorating the tree with the family. I've never been so exhausted! I dropped into bed and slept like a log! Oh, that was my first night back in my bed. I've been sleeping in a recliner (thanks, Mom) since I came home from the hospital because it hurt to stretch flat and/or turn around in bed. Ahhh..it felt SO good to be back in my nice comfy bed!
The only struggle I've been having in getting in enough fluids. The goal is 64 oz or more (that's for everyone, not just bariatric patients). And getting enough water/fluids is absolutely critical for weight loss. I typically have been getting about 40-50 oz. The last couple of days I have gotten 64+ oz, so hopefully I'm on the right track. For me, the trick is to remember to sip ALL the time. I can't guzzle water anymore (weep!) so I have to remind myself constantly to get in those little sips. Again, it's just a matter of learning a new habit. Very do-able.
I'll post pictures on my one month update. Oh, I've lost 15 lbs. in the two weeks since surgery, and 25 lbs. since my highest pre-op weight.
Later!
Cassi
Wednesday, December 5, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
way to go cas!! i'm excited for you. and you've given us all some great tips from your own experience on weight loss. bet you didn't realize you'd be helping so many besides yourself! thanks!
Post a Comment