Monday, July 28, 2008

100 pounds GONE!

Actually, I hit 100 lbs lost about three weeks ago. And then guess what happened? That's right! Nothing! I've been in a stall for three weeks, and it's just now starting to budge a little. I kind of figured this might happen (see my earlier post about milestones) because this is a weight my body is (was) very comfortable with and accustomed to.

For those of you trying to do the math, I'm now at 258. That's still pretty darn big, especially for someone 5' 3 1/2". But--as they say--everything's relative, and I feel awesome. I'm down to an 18/20 in tops and 22/24 in pants. My most recent labwork came back indicating that I'm a little low in B12; otherwise, everything else looks just peachy. Andrea asked for pictures, so here you go:




The emotional connections I'm making are HUGE. First, I've discovered that I get uncomfortable when people at church say something every single week, especially since I know that I've been in a stall for the last three weeks! No, I haven't lost any more weight this week (there's one lady who always asks!) I'm feeling like--hey, can we talk about something else, please? The irony is that I'm sure my family wishes that I'd shut up already! It's an interesting balance to try to achieve. On the one hand, losing weight, exercising, etc. is a huge element of my life right now. On the other hand, there's more to me than weight loss. Ya know what I mean? Okay, I'm rambling.

Another connection. I have a hang-up about and/or fear of being attractive. Oh sure, everyone wants to look good. Me too. But a weird thought popped in my head the other day as I was putting on my make-up and getting ready to go out somewhere. I thought, "Well, at least I'm old now and have wrinkles, so I won't be too attractive." What the heck?! (Isn't it strange how some of our own thoughts have the power to surprise us--I mean, I'm the one who thought it, so why should I be surprised?) The thing is, I thought I was looking forward to finally looking semi-cute in a pair of jeans. (Exasperated sigh) Man, I totally swear that weight loss is SO much more than just physical. Well, technically it might be about calories in v. calories burned, but the REASONS we eat can be pretty complex.

On to less weighty (pun intended) topics. Food. Oh, yes, I still love food. I still love cooking, and I still love getting creative in the kitchen. Just because I don't eat as much doesn't mean I can't appreciate exquisite tastes, textures, etc. I've been on an Indian/Thai kick that has lasted a many years now. The flavors never bore me. However, I've also been experimenting with taking old (or new) recipes and revamping them to make them healthier, i.e. less fat, less sugar, etc. I'm going to start posting these, just to share. You can do what you want with them, but they might be worth trying! So, for my inaugural entry, here's a SUPER easy and yummy way to use up all the fresh veggies bursting out of your summer garden (or grocery store).

Summer Squash Casserole:

2 small yellow crookneck squash
2 small zucchini
4 Roma tomatoes
1 small sweet onion (Vidalia, Walla Walla, etc.)
1 c. Italian cheese blend
Garlic powder
Mrs. Dash
Herbamare

Slice the squashes and tomatoes into 1/4" rounds. Slice the onion very thin. Layer 1/2 of the squashes, tomatoes, and onion. Sprinkle with garlic, Mrs. Dash, and Herbamare (seasoned sea salt). Top with 1/2 of the cheese. Continue with remaining veggies and cheese. Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes. Delish!

3 comments:

Utahdoula said...

Oh, that recipe sounds SO good to me! I'm going to have to try it. I want some good Thai recipes, too!
You look great! Keep up the good work.

Amy G. said...

You look amazing Cas! Thanks for the recipe too, it looks scrumptious.

Tyler Lyman Family said...

Congratulations! This is huge! I would change the adjective, but what the heck. On fear of attractiveness: I would question deeper; "why" are you afraid to be attractive? What problems does it pose for you exactly? What underlying beliefs are there? How do you feel when you relate to others, believing that you are attractive? That leads me to think, OK, I guess I don't want to be focusing on myself when I'm relating to others. At the same time, if something's bothering you, it's good to try and resolve it, to that end; that you don't have to worry about it anymore so you can focus more outwardly. A final thought to throw out there, and I'd be interested to know what this means to all you metamorphosis readers, 'cause I thought it was deep: A lot of people are attractive.