With so much to be thankful for, I had a wonderful Thanksgiving. This Thanksgiving was exactly one year after I came home from the hospital. Last year, I "ate" turkey broth for Thanksgiving dinner. Woohoo. Exciting. This year I had tiny portions of all my favorite things--some ham, stuffing, garlic mashed potatoes (with gravy, even), sweet potatoes, and, yes, some pie (half a piece of pumpkin and half a piece of chocolate cream). The pie was about two hours after dinner, because I simply couldn't have eaten it earlier. Plus, it was nice to simply enjoy a yummy dinner and then have some dessert after visiting, walking, playing some Scrabble, etc.
One year later, it feels like I never had anything done. I eat pretty much like a typical "light" eater. Pre-surgery, I worried that I would forever have to eat ridiculously small portions that would either make me look "weird" or make enjoying food-related social occasions (are there any other kind?) awkward. I'm so glad to say that isn't an issue at all. Neither are food intolerances, other than fats. I still can't handle high-fat foods. In fact, last week I got one of my favorite indulgences--a Starbucks Green Tea Latte (nonfat, with peppermint instead of melon, extra matcha, no ice)--and somehow the "nonfat" part of it got lost in all the other changes I make (yes, I'm one of those people that other people roll their eyes at when they hear my order), and I ended up with a full-fat version. I had only drank about a third of it before I started feeling sick. Unfortunately, I was on my way home from work and headed to my class for finals! I had to stop at Bekki's house to use the restroom and throw some water on my face to try and pull it together. I went on to class, and felt fine in about 30 minutes. But, ugh! I feel SO yucky when I eat (or drink, apparently) fatty things.
I love that I have moved out of the phase where it was all so new, and it was such a dominant part of my life. Now, I hardly even think about it. The only time I think about it now is when my clothes don't fit anymore and I have to go shopping. Again. But at least I enjoy shopping now! And, thankfully, I finally have a job (I'm teaching 7th grade science and math--fun!), so it's not such a stress. I still look forward to the day when I'll finally look good in my clothes. I still feel fat (well, because I still am!). Of course, when I look at old pictures, I see the progress (and want to throw up at the sight of myself!). So, I am encouraged that I'm not there anymore. In fact, I am mortified at the thought of where I used to be. How is it possible that I ever let myself get that way?! And how is it possible I still had any self-confidence? I was clearly oblivious to the awful reality. It's kind of weird to be so disgusted with myself after the fact.Oh well, at least it's over now. I hear about people who regain their weight, but I can't imagine EVER going back! I still have a long way to go, but I feel so much better. I teach all day long, usually with no pain; my energy level is awesome; my diabetes is virtually non-existant. For the most part, the only time I have really bad back pain now is with rainy/stormy weather.
Well, here's the lastest pic. Have a wonderful Christmas, everyone!
1 comment:
you look fab!
Post a Comment